Sunday, March 11, 2007

A week with Windows Home Server

It has been just over a week since I moved my Windows Home Server into a closet. My server has been running non-stop since then, and I have not had any reason to physically access it.

I have noticed that disk activity on the server has also been non-stop since then. Windows Home Server definitely keeps itself busy.

A lot of files have been copied to the server in the past week.

The 1.11 terabyte of disk space in my Windows Home Server have almost been used up. There are only 135.8 GB of storage space left on the server and I have not moved everything I want to store on the server!

Just recently in the past couple of days, I have noticed that the "Shared Folders" view in the Windows Home Server Console now sports a graphical "Used Space History." The chart has a slider control to select the history period: 1 week, 1 month, 1 year and "max."

I don't know whether this is a recent update to Windows Home Server Console or not, but I had not seen it previously.

Another feature of Windows Home Server is "Media Library Sharing" which is used "to stream music, photos, and videos from shared folders on your Windows Home Server to other devices in your home."

My music on the Windows Home Server appear and play in my Windows Media Player under Vista Ultimate x64. However, I don't see my entire music collection. I wonder if Windows Home Server has not completed cataloging my extensive music collection yet.

My evaluation copy of Windows Home Server Beta 2 expires on March 2, 2008. I already know that I can't live without it.

The "Version Information" under "Resources" in the Windows Home Server Console provides an insight into what comprises Windows Home Server: Admin Console, Backup & Restore, Drive Extender, Remote Access, and Storage Manager.

I will be experimenting with remote access next.

No comments: