Wednesday, January 24, 2007

BIOS updated to Version 0910

ASUS just officially released BIOS Version 0910 for the ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP motherboard. Nighthawk is currently running on BIOS Version 0804.

I usually wait awhile to hear about other people's experiences before I perform BIOS updates. In this particular case, I was not overly concerned since Nighthawk is a test system and this motherboard has the ASUS "CrashFree BIOS" feature.

I downloaded BIOS Version 0910 and installed it on Nighthawk using the AsusTek EZ Flash 2 in the BIOS from a USB drive. One always holds his/her breath while performing BIOS updates. I do and I did again in this case.

So far, BIOS Version 0910 for the the ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP appears to be stable.

I ran 3DMark06 from Windows XP MCE 2005 to check for any performance improvement from the BIOS upgrade. I did not see any. In fact, performance appears to have decreased some but this may be due to Windows XP MCE 2005 now only accessing 2GB of memory instead of 2.9GB before I enabled "Memory Remapping" in BIOS.

I will be running my usual battery of stability testing which will delay my experiments with using the on-board SoundMAX audio from Vista Ultimate x64 (RTM Build 6000).

Speaking of Vista, I just noticed that ASUS now has the P5B Premium Vista Edition and P5B-Plus Vista Edition motherboards. Hmmm...

No comments: