Thursday, January 18, 2007

Matched 8800GTX OC Speeds

My BFG 8800GTS graphics card is now running stable at the same clock speeds as the BFG 8800GTX OC graphics card: Core Clock of 600 MHz and Memory Clock of 900 MHz.

Running ATITool 0.26 for over 2 hours scanning for artifacts and the three Nvidia 8800 Tech Demos (Smoke, Adrianne, and Froggy) to visually scan for artifacts and monitor the GPU temperature clearly show that my BFG 8800GTS has absolutely no problems running at these speeds. This graphics card has ramped up to these speeds so easily and effortless that I believe it can achieve at least a Core Clock of 650 MHz - my next target.

How about the performance of my BFG 8800GTS at these speeds?

I ran the 3DMark06 benchmark six times and my BFG 8800GTS managed to score a high of 9216 3DMarks, an increase of 174 3DMarks scored at 8800GTX clock speeds.

Here's the 3DMark06 comparison.

It's apparent that an increase in Core Clock speed has a larger impact on video performance than an equivalent increase in Memory Clock speed.

If my BFG 8800GTS graphics card can achieve a stable Core Clock speed of 650 MHz, I will be ending my video card overclocking exercise at this point even if there's an indication that it can do more.

With the release of Vista drivers which I have been patiently waiting for, I am anxious to install Vista Ultimate x64 (RTM Build 6000) on Nighthawk this coming weekend. I want to perform and complete testing so I can move the BFG 8800GTS graphics card to Blackbird where I have been running Vista Ultimate x64 (RTM Build 6000) since it was first released to MSDN subscribers on November 17, 2006.

Will my BFG 8800GTS graphics card achieve a Core Clock speed of 650 MHz? We'll see tomorrow.

No comments: