Friday, February 9, 2007

Another scary Vista problem

I downloaded the EPSON TWAIN Driver and EPSON Scan utility Version 3.04A for Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit Editions again this morning. The new file installed on Vista Ultimate x64 (RTM Build 6000) without any problems this time, and I have been able to successfully use my EPSON Perfection 3170 Photo. EPSON must have fixed the download file overnight. Thanks to EPSON for quickly fixing this problem.

Fix a problem and up pops another problem...

After exiting the Dream Aquarium screen saver, I was alarmed to see this warning message: "A drive in a RAID 0 volume is failing. Try to back up data immediately."

I immediately opened the Intel Matrix Storage Console to get the details of the failure: an error occurred with the physical drive connected to Port 1.

I have a single RAID array using 2 Maxtor 500GB SATA2 disk drives. There are 2 RAID 0 volumes on this RAID array. One volume contains Windows XP MCE 2005 and the second volume contains Vista Ultimate x64 (RTM Build 6000). A failure with either drive means that both operating system installations are at risk.

Since this is my test computer, I don't have anything stored in it which required backup. I used the Intel Matrix Storage Console to mark the drive as normal.

This same problem occurred again later on.

I know that the physical drive is OK because this problem did not occur in Windows XP MCE 2005 which is on a RAID0 volume using the same physical drive.

Here's my hardware configuration:

ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
4 GB Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5
BFG 8800GTS Graphics Card (NVIDIA driver 100.59)
Hauppauge PVR-150 TV Tuner Card
2 500GB Maxtor SATA2 Disk Drives
Antec NeoHE 550 PSU
Vista Ultimate x64 (RTM Build 6000)

Anyone else experience a similar problem?

No comments: