Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Installing Windows 98SE on Nighthawk

Yep. You read that right. I installed Windows 98SE on Nighthawk last night.

Why?

Actually, I first installed Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 which was released to the general public just recently. It is installed in Vista Ultimate x64 (RTM Build 6000) on Nighthawk.

I needed an operating system to install and test Virtual PC 2007. I had a copy of Windows 98SE handy, so I decided to install it under Virtual PC 2007 as my initial test.

After creating and starting a Virtual PC, I inserted the Windows 98SE CDROM and installation diskette to start installation. Windows 98SE installed without any problem under Virtual PC 2007.

It has been a long time since I installed and used Windows 98SE. I initially could not figure out why starting the Internet Explorer browser kept prompting me to identify a modem to use for the Internet connection. I can't even remember the last time I used a modem. I started using ISDN as soon as it became available to me and then switched to DSL when it also became available.

Once I finally remembered how to set up networking in Windows 98SE, I was able to browse the Web and access my other computers in my workgroup.

Windows 98SE works well under Virtual PC 2007. It is very easy to set up and use.

Have you noticed the "Vanderpool Technology" setting in BIOS for the ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP motherboard? It is Intel's virtualization technology and Virtual PC 2007 makes use of it. Enable it if you are using Virtual PC 2007.

The next operating system I will be installing using Virtual PC 2007 is Ubuntu. I also have 3 other Unix operating systems I want to try: Freespire, openSUSE and SUSE Linux Enterprise 10.

Of course, I will also be installing other flavors of the Windows operating system for both desktops and servers using Virtual PC 2007, including "Longhorn."

By the way, Virtual PC 2007 is free.

No comments: