Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g

How about the Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g device on the ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP motherboard? How well does it work with Vista Ultimate x64 (RTM Build 6000)?

I downloaded the ASUS WiFi-AP Version 6.1262.1212.2006 driver and enabled "USB WIFI/USB 9,10" in the BIOS "USB Configuration" section to find out.

Note: The Realtek RTL8187 wireless device is actually a USB device and some people have physically removed it from the motherboard. Think twice before doing this. I would recommend just disabling the wireless device in BIOS instead unless you really need the additional USB ports.

Vista recognized the Realtek RTL8187 Wireless device and prompted whether I wanted it to install the driver. I declined and installed the driver I downloaded from the ASUS Web site.

Windows Update subsequently downloaded and installed an even newer version: Version 6.1272.106.2007 dated 1/6/2007 without asking me!

I configured the Realtek RTL8187 Wireless device using Vista and it connected to my Wireless Access Point immediately without any problem. The signal quality was excellent, but it had better be because the Wireless Access Point is located just above Nighthawk!

The throughput via the wireless connection was also excellent.

The Realtek RTL8187 Wireless device can also operate as a Wireless Access Point, the reason for "AP" in the ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP motherboard model name.

Unfortunately for owners of this motherboard who have a need to use the Realtek RTL8187 Wireless device as a Wireless Access Point, there is currently no Vista driver/software for this.

Fortunately for me, I do not require this capability.

No comments: