Sunday, March 25, 2007

iaStor Timeout Errors

Running Vista Ultimate x64 on Nighthawk without any USB ports is not an option for me.

Yet, Nighthawk has been running without any more iaStor timeout problems for over 20 hours since I disabled all of its USB ports.

I had to figure out a way to get my USB ports back on Nighthawk without suffering iaStor timeout problems.

I noticed that the Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g device driver Version 6.1272.106.2007 was still installed. I decided to uninstall this device driver using the Vista Control Panel Programs & Features, shutdown, enable the USB ports, and restart.

The Vista Control Panel Programs & Features invoked the Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g device driver to uninstall itself. This is evident from the messages displayed during the uninstall process.

Almost immediately, Vista informs me that "A drive in a RAID 0 volume is failing. Try to back up data immediately." I immediately checked the Event Log, and sure enough, there were 45 iaStor timeout errors!

Very interesting!

I started the Intel Matrix Storage Console and marked the "failing" drive as "normal," and restarted Nighthawk with the USB ports still disabled.

Nighthawk has been running stable in this state for over 14 hours now.

My next step is to shutdown, enable the USB ports and restart Nighthawk. I'm going to do this immediately after publishing this post.

No comments: